Kerala has a rich culture, apart from Kathakali, Mohiniyattam, folk arts like Theyyam, Villupattu, Oottam Thullal and many more form a bigger part of its culture. Much Traditional art forms like Ayyappan Theyyat, Kothamuriyattam, have not been part the mainstream art form, lack of disciples to its continuity in the tradition has created the vacuum in the art form, so much so, these art forms are under a shadow of uncertainty.
Kerala government realizing this, conceived Utsavam every year to revive all the folk arts of Kerala, infuse new blood into these folks arts, UTSAVAM 2018 is held, wherein forty-three identified folk art from Kolkali to Theyyam to Kalamezhuthum Paattum to Mudiyattam and Ketharattam, brought on a platform in all the fourteen districts under the umbrella of UTSAVAM 2018.
28 centers have been set up to in as many places in Kerala, from Kazhakkoottam, Shankumukham, Varkala Helipad to Bekal beach and Neeleswaram in Kasaragod. Well-known artists in folk arts like Kunjiramaperuvannan (Theyyam), K.Nanu (Poorakkali), Britto vincent(Chavittu Natakam), Latha Namboothiri(Thiruvathirakali) and others will be part of the Utsavam-2018.
Utsavam 2018- 5000 artists in 28 centers in 14 districts will be staging folk art shows, would generate enough interest among the people of Kerala and foreigners equally.
The details of Venues in 14 districts and names of the folk art performed are given below.
1. P.P.Kunjiama Peruvanna - Theyyam
2. P.K.Kariyan - Gadhika
3. K.Nanu - Poorakali, Kolkali, Nadn Paattu
4. K.Sivakumar - Kolkali
5. Sasi Janakala (Mazhamooli)
6. Sheeba Krishnakumar - Chavittu Natakam
7. Britto vincent - Chavittu Natakam
8. Prabalakumari - Kakkarasi Natagam, Charadupinnikali)
9. Latha Nambootiri - Thiruvathirakkali, Oppana, Margam Kali
10. Thankaswamy - Paakkanaarattam , who would be honoured at the inaugural function.
1. Thiruvananthapuram - Shangumukham, Kazhakoottam and Varkala helipad
2. Kollam - Childrens Park and kollam beach
3. Pathanamthitta - Adoor Chennambally temple ground and keedamanitta padayani gramam
4. Kottayam - Kumarakom karanattinkala and changanassery perunna bus stand
5. Alapuzha - Alapuzha marari beach and alapuzha
6. Eranakulam - fort Kochi Vascodagama square and durbar hall gound
7. Idukki - Vagamon town nd Munnar town DTPC park
8. Thrissur - Guruvayoor municipality ground
9. Palakkad - Rappadi open auditorium and Sreekrishnapuram, Bapuji childrens park
10. Wayanad - Pookod lake and Collectorate garden, Kalpetta
11. Malappuram - Kottakkunnu Park nd Beam bridge ponnni
12. Kasargod - Bekal beach and Neeleswaram
7. Kalamezhuthum pattum
8. Kakkarissi Nadakam
9. Nadan pattu
11. Badrakaali Theeyattu
13. Cheru Neeliyattam
14. Pulluvan paattu
16. Sangha kali
17. Udukku paat
19. Oottam Thullal