- 2 large Eggplants ; Cut into 1 inch pieces with skin on
- 3 tablespoons Rice bran oil ; Can use other oil, but this one is used for its high smoke point
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mustard seed ; Used black mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 1 large Onion ; Thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 large Tomato ; diced (put mine in a food processor)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 bunch Cilantro ; chopped.
1. Boil the cut eggplant for 5-7 minutes until tender. Then drain water.
2. Heat oil on medium heat with mustard & cumin seeds. Heat them for about 1 minute until they start to pop/sizzle so you can obtain the best flavor from them.
3. Stir in the onion and cook for 2 minutes or until it becomes soft. Add the turmeric and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the ginger, garlic and curry then cook for 1 more minute.
4. Add the tomato and salt then cook for 5 minutes or until the tomato is almost like a paste (you can add water (1-2 Tablespoons) if you need to for it to stay moist).
5. Finally, add the eggplant and cover and cook for 7-10 more minutes (you might want to stir once or twice). Then remove from heat, add the Cilantro and serve over rice!