Basil has many medicinal properties that man needs. According to the Hindu mythology, Goddess Laksmi is worshiped through this plant. People have said in the past that a home without basil plant does not prosper. Basil is a good disinfectant and anti-oxidant. The leaves, flowers, pods, skin, trunk and roots of the plant are considered sacred.
Basil is native to tropical regions from central Africa to Southeast Asia. It is a tender plant, and is used in worldwide. Depending on the species and cultivar, the leaves may taste somewhat like anise, with a strong, pungent, often sweet smell.
There are many varieties of basil, as well as several related species or hybrids also called basil. The type used commonly as a flavor is typically called sweet basil (or Genovese basil), as opposed to Thai basi, lemon basil and holy basil. While most common varieties of basil are treated as annuals, some are perennial in warm, tropical climates, including holy basil and a cultivar known as "African blue basil".
Health Benefits of Basil
- Basil is a good remedy for intermittent coughing, sneezing and colds.
- Basil contains a lot of iron. This prevents diseases like anemia.
- It helps maintain the body's pH balance.
- It solves gas acidity problems.
- It Controls blood sugar levels.
- Balancing the stress hormone, cortisol.
- Boots Immunity system and also provides healthy eyes.
- Improves oral Health.
- Good remedy for Headache.