The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom (UK) and Northern Ireland for cooperation in the fields of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries. The MoU was signed on 17.04.2018.
The MoU aims to develop bilateral cooperation in the field of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries for the purpose of increasing production and productivity of Indian livestock and fisheries.
The partnership is expected to improve livestock health, livestock breeding and Fisheries aiming at enhancing Dairy, Fisheries and Animal Products for domestic consumption and export. It would promote consultation and cooperation on livestock husbandry, fisheries and dairy through:
- Matters of mutual concern or interest in relation to livestock husbandry, fisheries and related matters.
- Collaboration in livestock health and husbandry, breeding dairying and fisheries.
- Management and mechanism to enrich feed & fodder nutritionally and its bulk transportation in deficit areas to realise higher productivity and production in livestock.
- Sanitary issues concerning trade in livestock, animal husbandry and animal products.
- Development of high tech fodder tree species nurseries with fodder crops and promotion of agroforestry tor planting fodder tree species under integrated farming system including soil moisture conservation in drought-prone areas.
- Areas of exchange of scientific personnel for study tour/training in mutually agreed areas.
- Collaboration for joint research for cross-learning with regard to innovative Agriculture Extension approaches including the use of information and communication technology (ICT).
- Any other matter of joint interest.
A Joint Working Group (]WG) consisting of representatives of each party shall be created to formulate joint programs and to facilitate cooperation & consultation.
MoU was signed between India, represented by Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries (DADF), Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare and United Kingdom & Northern Ireland, represented by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, in April, 2018 for cooperation in the fields of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.